Sunday 2 September 2007

Quickie: Song of the Week!

Time to dust down your leather biker jacket and grow in that mustache and take a look back in time...

Perhaps one of the greatest bands to have ever graced this earth, they began creating music way before I was born. They presented us with a paradox; a very cool looking camp group of musicians; long curly hair, womens clothing and a front man wearing vest tops and a now famous mustache.

I am of course talking about Queen - even their name is camp!


Now, picking a song was extremely difficult. And thus, I was thankful when I realized I had to pick not one but two songs from this fantastic band due to my absence during last week. This was a little easier as there are two songs in particular which I think are brilliant - for very different reasons. Firstly...

Those Are The Days Of Our Lives; A truly beautiful song. About saying goodbye to the past and accepting the future - made even more haunting when it came the attention to all the fans and the rest of the band, that lead singer Freddie Mercury was terminally ill (HIV). He was always a fan of wearing make-up but once this secret came out fans wondered if their was another reason for the amount of make-up he was wearing during the making of the video for this song. Freddie continued recording music until a month before his death November '91...

Those Are The Days Of Our Lives

Sometimes I get the feelin'
I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young
Things seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young
The sun was always shinin' - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don't know
The rest of my life's been just a show

Those were the days of our lives
The bad things in life were so few
Those days are all gone now but one thing is true
When I look, and I find, I still love you

You can't turn back the clock you can't turn back the tide
Ain't that a shame
I'd like to go back one time on a roller coaster ride
When life was just a game
No use in sitting and thinkin' on what you did
When you can lay back and enjoy it through your kids
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don't know
Better sit back and go with the flow

Cos these are the days of our lives
They've flown in the swiftness of time
These days are all gone now but some things remain
When I look and I find no change

Those were the days of our lives - yeah
The bad things in life were so few
Those days are all gone now but one thing's still true
When I look and I find
I still love you

I still love you

We miss you Freddie...


------
This next song needs no introduction; perhaps their greatest work and my favorite Queen song, and certainly one of my favorites in general.
Bohemian Rhapsody: It optimizes Queen; camp, brilliant lyrics, entertaining, Freddie piano and vocals, awesome harmony(s) (inc. Brian May and Rodger Taylor..
What I find so awesome about this song is it's change of pace: slow (harmonic) -> slow (rock) -> Brian May Guitar solo (eat your heart out) -> Theatrical/Opera (
Galileo! Galileo!) -> seemlessly into full on ROCK! -> then just as quick as it reaches Rock-ness to falls back down to slow Rock and slowly comes to a stop.

"Any way the wind blows"
Phenomenal.

Best Rock Song Ever? You be the judge

Bohemian Rhapsody

Is this the real life -
Is this just fantasy -
Caught in a landslide -
No escape from reality -
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see -
I’m just a poor boy, I need no sympathy -
Because I’m easy come, easy go,
A little high, little low,
Anyway the wind blows, doesn’t really matter to me,
To me

Mama, just killed a man,
Put a gun against his head,
Pulled my trigger, now he’s dead,
Mama, life had just begun,
But now I’ve gone and thrown it all away -
Mama ooo,
Didn’t mean to make you cry -
If I’m not back again this time tomorrow -
Carry on, carry on, nothing really matters -

Too late, my time has come,
Sends shivers down my spine -
Body’s aching all the time,
Goodbye everybody-I’ve got to go -
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth -
Mama ooo - (any way the wind blows)
I don’t want to die,
I sometimes wish I’d never been born at all -
[Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics on http://www.metrolyrics.com]


I see a little silhouetto of a man,
Scaramouche, scaramouche will you do the fandango -
Thunderbolt and lightning - very very frightening me -
Galileo, Galileo,
Galileo, Galileo,
Galileo Figaro – magnifico -
But I’m just a poor boy and nobody loves me -
He’s just a poor boy from a poor family -
Spare him his life from this monstrosity -
Easy come easy go -,will you let me go -
Bismillah! no -,we will not let you go - let him go -
Bismillah! we will not let you go - let him go
Bismillah! we will not let you go - let me go
Will not let you go - let me go
Will not let you go let me go
No, no, no, no, no, no, no -
Mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go -
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me -

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye -
So you think you can love me and leave me to die -
Oh baby - can’t do this to me baby -
Just gotta get out - just gotta get right outta here -

Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters -, nothing really matters to me,

Any way the wind blows....

No comments: